Monday, September 04, 2006

Vouchor: Ruby on Rails!

Vouchor is Numly's first Web 2.0 application written entirely on Ruby on Rails (RoR).

Moving to Linux, Lighttpd, and MySQL were big steps for this Microsoft developer but I can honestly say that Vouchor was one of my favorite development projects. RoR takes a little getting used to (coming from ASP and .NET) but once you get the hang of it, the coding can be very quick and enjoyable. No more low-level SQL database routines and connection strings to worry about with RoR. Like magic, it just works! I was also able to take advantage of my Mac Powerbook as a development workstation and even deployed a Linux server at home for testing running on Mongrel.

Finding a new hosting company that supported RoR was also an interesting experience. Luckily I listen to Josh Owen and Chris Sailor's Web 2.0 Show and remembered hearing that they run a hosting business called Steel Pixel. After reviewing their site and service plans, I sent them an email with nearly 10 questions about their offering. They replied in less than an hour and answered all of my questions with much detail. I initially signed a one-month agreement with Steel Pixel to test the waters (so to speak) but after Josh came to my aid over 10 times patiently answering my silly nuby RoR deployment questions regarding SVN and Capistrano I confirmed my early decision. These guys rock! They are very knowledgeable on hosting RoR applications and their level of service is phenomenal. The other RoR hosting companies should aspire to be as good as Steel Pixel!

Okay - I guess you can tell that I am excited about Vouchor and Ruby on Rails and Steel Pixel. You can expect more innovative RoR applications and new services from Numly in the near future!



numly esn 77741-060904-694542-48 Rate content:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.